Monday, April 15, 2013

Scroogled.com? Microsoft throwing stones from their glass house!

I saw a commercial today which warned me about being "scroogled" and I should visit scroogled.com because all of my information is going to unknown 3rd parties.

I went to the website and saw what appeared to be clear cut Microsoft propaganda.  In fact right at the bottom it says Microsoft!

So it appears that Microsoft is now stepping down to the level of politicians and mud slinging.  I find the the lowest form of competition.  I am all for someone building the better mouse trap.  I support fair competition and advertising of your products.  I even support anti-trust and competition in the marketplace.

What floors me is that Microsoft chose to use mudslinging over a better product.  Microsoft doesn't exactly keep a clean record when it comes to privacy - "Microsoft Being Investigated In The EU For Potential Privacy Violations".  That was just 4 months ago and Microsoft is now telling you that you should be aware of Google.

So what does scroogled.com complain about?
When you buy an Android app from the Google app store, they give the app maker your full name, email address and the neighborhood where you live. This occurs without clear warning every single time you buy an app.
Really?  So a developer is getting my Name, Email and Neighborhood.  Spammers get this from any number of sources and I don't have to have a phone to have that happen.  What makes this even more ridiculous is that I cant think of a website out there that doesn't ask for at least these three pieces of information.  Perhaps your neighborhood is somewhat privacy violating but we have already seen that Apple and Google both use tracking information on your phone.  So who has a hang up with this besides Microsoft.

Why would Microsoft a company who pioneered some of the awesome technology (like Kinect) in use today do this?  I'll tell you why.


  1. Chrome is beating IE in the marketplace and IE is going the way of the Dodo bird. 
  2. Microsoft is no longer a leader in pioneering web technologies. 
  3. Microsoft has spent millions in a search engine that nobody I know uses. 
  4. Microsoft has an inferior phone, apps store and business partnerships.
  5. Windows Phone has no chance of taking over Android and Apple in the phone space.
  6. Windows 8 is a sadistic tortue device.
And the best reason of all?  A $492 Million Dollar Loss reported in Q4.  Despite earlier in the year having the largest revenue on record Microsoft is losing money.  Why?  Competition plain and simple.  Everyone keeps chipping away at Microsoft and their revenue streams.  

Apple keeps chipping away at the desktop market and for a good reason.  The Mac has far less issues than any PC I have ever seen.  I personally think Apple is run by the underworld but I have to admit I love my Mac.  Windows 8 is "User Hostile" and I can't say that I disagree.  




Google owns the web space.  Nobody walks around saying "Just Bing it".  In fact try saying that somewhere and see how many people think you're joking around.   Google also owns the browser market.  I joke around with my fellow nerds about how the worst IT job in the world would be working on the IE Development team.  Why?  Because any web developer worth $20 or more an hour knows IE is an abomination and Chrome and Firefox are the only browsers you should bother developing in.

(Dear IE Development team - You have my pity.)

The gaming market is changing too.  More and more gamers are going back to the PC as hardware has become a lot cheaper and you don't have to upgrade every 6 months to be able to play the latest game.  So the 360 market is shrinking and I'm doubtful the Xbox 720 (or whatever they name it) will blow the doors off everyone. Sony is working on their new console and Nintendo got back in the game somewhat with the WiiU.  Plus the phone market is becoming huge for games.  In fact the OUYA is an android based console!  I can see this growing huge momentum given that most games on the Android platform are under $10.

Microsoft has lowered itself to mudslinging to save any profit they can.  What kills me is that they don't really have to.  They just have to get back to what makes any company great.  Innovation, creativity and community.  Something Microsoft has lost but Google has clearly succeeded at.  I expect to see more and more losses coming out of Microsoft until they get Steve Balmer out and someone who understands the market in.  Balmer had his time in the limelight now he just needs to pass the torch onto someone who can save Microsoft and Balmer is not it.


No comments:

Post a Comment