Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Android Camera Apps

I have been struggling with Motorolla's "standard" camera app for Android.  It's down right pathetic.  In fact iPhone puts it to shame.  I have used the default camera app for some time now and it is down right a joke.  This includes the one on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 as well.  These apps suck.  I tried Vignette but it really worked hit and miss although this was much better than the stock one.

I finally found something that not only is worth $4.99 but shows that the hardware on these phones far exceeds the software.  Camera ZOOM FX by androidslide is exactly what it should be.  A full featured camera application that allows a non-novice camera user access to the functions of the camera.  I was able to even control the jpeg compression on the images.  I immediately was taking better pictures.  I'm still a bit disappointed in the shutter lag on  my phone but at least the quality of the photos I do take are decent.


When LifeHacker said that it's the best camera app for android, they weren't kidding.  It's by far the closest thing to what should be the default installed android camera. 

Which I want to mention as a serious android gripe.  If they want to keep being the iPhone killer they really need to step it up and start creating applications like this as the default installed camera application.  I know people complain about the price of an iPhone however when you get premium apps they come at a premium price.  Something to keep in mind Google!

No comments:

Post a Comment