Thursday, June 13, 2013

Help me tell Skype & Microsoft you want options!


I was an avid user of the IMO instant messaging application for Android.  I loved this program and I even blogged about it.  About a month ago they stopped supporting Skype.  They claimed they could not connect to the Skype servers anymore.

Skype is a closed protocol which means nobody else can communicate on the Skype network unless you're a partner or you've hacked your way onto it.  Everyone else has a somewhat open chat network, Google, Yahoo, AIM/ICQ, IRC, etc.   Skype for all that is provides doesn't give developers a way to openly communicate with the Skype servers.  So if you want to send a Skype message, you have to use Skype.   This sucks because the Skype app for Android blows, and the desktop apps are not far behind.

When IMO couldn't get Skype fixed I was really bummed.  I love IMO because it's free with a small footprint and it works.  More than Skype can say.

So, I started a petition that I hope everyone will share with their friends and hopefully we can make a change.  Please sign this petition to Skype and Microsoft then share it with everyone you know!  The only way we are going to get Skype and Microsoft to listen is to show them that the community wants the freedom to use something other than the Skype bloatware!


No comments:

Post a Comment